Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bond market is hot...good time to get out

I will be selling ITRIX which holds 31% in fixed investments. I have decided to go for low cost Vanguard S&P 500 mutual fund. Reason for this fund is

1)I will be fully invested in stocks since this fund will have close to 100% of its assets invested.
2)Close to 50% of the earnings in S&P 500 come from outside US.
3)Market is not cheap at all but alternatives are not much safe either.
4)I already have a big position in cash.

I have been saying for a long time but have not yet acted upon my instincts to short long term treasury bonds or if possible high yield bonds. Unless I trade in futures options there are not many savy ways I can make this trade but doing something is better than doing nothing. Hence I might soon take a position in TBT(ultashort treasury bonds)

References:
http://www.distressed-debt-investing.com/2010/08/credit-market-quite-possibly-insane.html
http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2010/08/02/stock-market-valuation-08012010/

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a good idea to get out of bonds now. But do you think it makes more sense to look at sectors which can outperform rather than S&P? Forget financials, home builders, etc. But commodities, oil related, etc. probably makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely. I am not a fan of indexing myself. But my 401k has very limited sector specific selections so I chose to go with S&P 500.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friend
    How are you Today Visit your Web Blog Page Got more Information you share Best Information my pray with you and Your Business get more success and Blessings in The name of LORD.please visit our website get more information...
    prize bond
    prize bonds results

    ReplyDelete